Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Soulstice by Simon Holt

Just today after school I finished an excellent book by Simon Holt called Soulstice, the sequel to The Devouring but only book two in the series (the third book comes out fall of next year).

In The Devouring, readers are introduced to the main characters: Reggie (short for Regina), her best friend Aaron, and her younger brother Henry. Reggie and Aaron are into horror novels and movies, so when they find what they think is just another ghost story, they're thrilled. But it doesn't go too well when Reggie's brother Henry gets possessed by a demonic being called a Vour and she has to face terrifying visions and nightmares to save him.

Continued with Soulstice, Reggie thinks the haunting of the devilish Vours is over. But that's until the horror comes back to herself, her friend, and her brother, driving them to madness. Now they'll have to stop the Vours for good before the night of the solstice, the night they'll have the most power.

I first heard about The Devouring much earlier this year. I was stumbling around Barnes 'n Noble's website and came across it. Sounded interesting, so the next time I went to Mayfair Mall I picked up a copy at B&N. It was definitely much better a book than I expected. And Soulstice was no disappointment either. The ending left me in awe and I can't imagine how I'm going to just sit around and be expected to wait for the next book.

1 comment:

  1. I like your writing style here, on this blog.
    I'm glad you're writing about something you actually want to talk about at length.

    Anywho, I AM glad that you're blogging more. :)

    p.s. those two covers make one beautiful face.

    ReplyDelete