Thursday, January 13, 2011

Winter Reads

A thousand apologies, guys! Long time no update. Blogging has been the last thing on my mind as of late, due to how much I've been trying to read, write, and draw.

Reading? Did you say reading? Yes, I did. Since winter break (*coughChristmasvacationcough*) I've finished Simon Holt's Fearscape and Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones.

Fearscape surprised me. My expectations were not as high for the third and final book in Holt's Devouring trilogy after reading the second book Soulstice. I figured all the surprise and plot twists had diminished and the third book would be just a watered down ending. I am pleased to say I was wrong, and it was perhaps better than the first book. Fearscape kept me on edge, guessing, and vocally reacting to each plot twist thrown my way.

Most of you know that I'm a writer (unofficially; I've only ever finished fanfics and short stories, but since 2007 I've started writing forty-two stories). Reading Writing Down the Bones could have been the best choice I've made in a while. The book was so inspiring and motivating. I'd be reading and could even concentrate because I'd want to just do what Goldberg was telling me to do and write. Dear writers, I highly recommend this book to you.

I am now currently reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, a memoir of sorts about her trying to find pleasure, devotion, and balance throughout three countries: Italy, India, and Indonesia. Naturally, the book is separated into three different sections. A couple pages into the book I already fell in love with it because of Gilbert's style and voice. I think normally I wouldn't be attracted to memoirs, but this is written in such a way that I find myself thoroughly enjoying it and never getting bored.

I'm hoping I can finish Eat Pray Love before January ends so I can immediately start Mockingjay. I've set a goal for myself this year. I'm going to try to read twenty books. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a little less than two books a month which is pretty good. Nothing of course like my sister's goal of one hundred books. She's a reading fiend. I've got a pretty long list of books to read/finish, so I think I'll be good. Plus I'm constantly adding books to my To Read list, such as yesterday, when I decided I'm going to buy The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo soon.

Until next time, your fellow reader,
Kelly R

PS: For those of you who have a GoodReads account, you can follow/friend me here (because I've certainly been posting a lot on the website).

1 comment: